Wednesday, September 26, 2007

5;30 a.m. calls...

I am thoroughly enjoying the chance to substitute teach. It has given me a the chance to work with different ages at different schools. I have now been in classes from kindergarden (So exhausting!!) to 4th grade. It's been interesting to go into a classroom where you don't know the kids or how the rules are set up and try to be in charge. Some teachers leave great plans for me, which is SUPER helpful in making the day go smoothly. Others, however, not so much. Last week, I walked into a classroom where the teacher had left the day's schedule for me but no plans. I was stuck with two kindergarden classes during E.L. time with NOTHING TO DO!! Thank God for partner teachers!
The best class I have had so far was a 4th grade at Orange Elementary school. They were well behaved and actually helpful. I could ask them how their teacher wouild do something and they told me exactly how she did it. It was great! I also enjoyed the fact that they were able to work independently. (none of this "can you tie my shoe? can you wipe my nose?" stuff!!) I was supposed to sub for them again this morning... but things didn't exactly turn out.
(5:30 a.m this morning) ~RIING RIING~ I pick up my cell phone from the table next to my bed. I have to sleep with my phone always on now because who KNOWS what time the sub people will be calling... Yep it's them again. Well at least I have another day of work! It's a half-day job in the morning for the forementioned 4th grade class. Sure, I'll take it, they were good. I have to be at the school at 8:15 and will be done around noon. Sweet, I can sleep a little bit before I absolutely have to get ready...
(Somewhere around 6:30 am)~RIIING~ oh MAN! I JUST got back to sleep... The sub desk again... instead of a morning job they need me in the afternoon. Well that's fine. I don't have to be there until 11:30 so I can sleep longer. I rolled over and went back to sleep.
(What seemed like a matter of minutes although it was really a little after 9a.m) ~RIIIIIIIINNNNNGGGGG~ NOW what?!?! "Hello?" Oh, I guess they don't need you today after all... sorry about that. So you're telling me that I was woken up 3 seperate times between the hours of 5:30 and 9 in the morning and I STILL have no job? wonderful! These early morning calls are starting to get on my nerves. PLEASE let me find a real job soon!!

No comments: