Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A not-so-surprising revelation brought to you by Panera

Ok so I have the day off today in honor of President's day. (yay for presidents I guess!) I am enjoying my 4-day weekend, though I wasn't too enthusiastic about having to leave the house for several hours while the cleaning lady was there. (Thankfully no more hair tangles!)

I decided to make a trip to one of my favorite hang-outs; Panera Bread. Good food, nice atmosphere, and free internet! As I neared the entrance, an older man got there just ahead of me and opened the door for me. I politely said thank you, while trying to hide my sense of surprise. Let's face it, it seems chivalry is all but dead. I guess that might be just the younger generation.

The same man ended up right behind me in line and I couldn't help noticing how much he reminded me of my grandfather who just passed away. He was jovial, kind, and wore a big tan Gilligan-type had I had seen my grandpa wear. As I finished up my order and took my change he pulled out an old black and white photo of when he was a young man. He said he looked like a lady killer, though he didn't remember being such in his younger years.

Seeing this complete stranger made me realize how much I miss my grandpa. It seems like I just saw him yesterday, though the last time I visited him was a probably a good 4 months ago. I feel like I should be able to call him up and say hello.

I have struggled lately with not only missing him but also the realization that I took him and others for granted. I never realized how much I loved him until he was gone. Of course I knew I loved him, don't get me wrong. I guess it's just so easy to go weeks or even months without talking to someone but once they are no longer in your life every day seems like a life time. I guess I'm still adjusting to the though of not having him around any more and it only takes little things like a stranger in a restaurant to remind me of how much it still hurts.

No comments: