Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankful...

I couldn't sleep so I thought I would get a jump start on thinking about what I am thankful for this year- I find it's helpful to write out the things I'm thankful for so that Thanksgiving doesn't just go by as another holiday to get lots of calories and enjoy time off of work. I want the day to actually be used the way it was meant to be used; spending time giving thanks. So in no particular order and without further ado:

Things to be thankful for:

  • Family- always supportive and there when I need them
  • Health- so many people in the world are sick and don't have the medicine they need. I feel I take my health and the ability to get medicine and/or see the doctor whenever I need to for granted
  • Food- Unlike billions of people around the world, I have the luxury of opening up a full pantry and refrigerator and choosing something to eat.
    • One out of every eight children under the age of twelve in the U.S. goes to bed hungry every night.
    • The World Health Organization estimates that one-third of the world is well-fed, one-third is under-fed one-third is starving- Since you've started reading this blog, at least 200 people have died of starvation. Over 4 million will die this year.


  • Clothes- I may not have the latest fashions and trends, but I have clean clothes to wear every day and for that I am thankful!
  • True friends- Not the ones that are just around when it's convenient, but ones that help you through the bad times and love you in spite of your faults.
  • Shelter- I have a warm bed to sleep in and a roof over my head.
  • A Job- Although it's tough at times, and people can be exhausting, it's a job. It may not be perfect, but God provided exactly what I needed at exactly the right time.
  • Christ- Without Him, I am nothing. His saving grace has made me who I am and I am so thankful that He chose me before the foundations of the Earth.
  • Freedom- America is a land of freedoms. I can go to church and worship without fear, go to work without being oppressed or punished. I have freedom of speech, freedom to write my thoughts and feelings...
  • Heroes- Men and women who think enough of our freedoms and country to risk their lives so that we can continue to live this way.
I'm sure there is so much more, but as it is already after 2 a.m. my mind is a little blurry. Don't forget to think of all the things you have to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. Even if it hasn't been the best year, there is always something. And don't forget to tell the people in your life you are thankful for them. Not in a hokey or forced way, but a sincere thanks.


"We give thanks to God always for all of you, making mention of you in our prayers"
~1st Thessalonians 1:2~

"We ought always to give thanks to God for you, brethren, as is only fitting, because your faith is greatly enlarged, and the love of each one of you toward one another grows ever greater"
~2nd Thessalonians 1:3~

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service." ~1st Timothy 1:12~





No comments: